statutory warning-i take no responsibility for anything happening to anyone after reading my blog:)

My photo
none too big a wishes, just want a lottery, a house on a hill with a nice pool and of-course my mini cooper and my spirit to drive around :)

Friday, June 05, 2009

Celebrations! but at the cost of?





i guess the picture i put up is self-explanantory. 2 great triumphs to savour! 2 weeks back, not many would have predicted an indian victory. not even the die-hard fans especially after the world cup debacle and one day series defeat in the hands of English players. the first match washed out. 2nd match a close victory. 3rd match a great fight but wasnt enough, 4th match yuvraj special, 5th match spirited performances, 6th match a snub to records for india aus matches in world cup, 7th match; The Thriller and sweet taste of Victory at last!
Public is jubiliant, people are on streets everywhere! dhoni is a demi-god now...but hard to forget that the same person from jharkhand who testified on TV that we are proud of him was part of the mob who destroyed the house of dhoni after the F50(hehe, my own short for 50-50 overs) worldcup.
Cricket cricket everywhere no other sport can survive. Every state is trying to be one up by giving big cash rewards to their state players. Media is happy stating that most of the players are from small cities. point to ponder, when was the last time we saw an indian from north-eastern states playing cricket? What do they play? Football? eh, what?? Is that a game we play in India...hmmm, thanks for enlightening me.
I hear people using their rights to file a PIL about the most absurd things. last I heard Supreme Court wanted to pass a PIL on not to allow stupid PILs. I wonder how it would be if I file a PIL to make Cricket the National sport of India. Its some game which is played with sticks, it is currently the National Game, did you know that? I was taught that sometime in my childhood. Played it too...but couldnt continue. Heard people saying, if you are interested in games then it has to be Cricket and not some hockey. People, please don't laugh, but frankly I don't even know how to hold a bat properly forget about trying to bowl...all I do is run, I mean field...:)
I am not sure how many of us followed Asian Cup Hockey tournament. Though it was marred with Pakistan Hockey federation blaming Indians for poor umpires and umpiring. India won they lost because of Umpires it seems...I wonder how none of the people issued a fatwa against the umpires!! Its becoming a norm these days...fatwa for this fatwa for that...and our guys are not too far! fatwa for Karunanidhi!! haha...wish all the politicians kill each other and leave the people alone...but hey who would govern us? No not the Britishers again please...Italians maybe??
Well anyway, i am not sure what my entry title and my blog have in common...I think I lost track of my words wayyy too long back...So my point is that...we shouldnt be crazy about one sport...Did anyone see how convincingly India thrashed all its opponents (except China, India did win but with some frightful moments!). Record books had to re-written the way Indians played...20 goals against Thailand, 16 against Sri Lanka...and ofcourse a record again, highest margin in finals...7-1 against the very formidable Korean team. It was a complete washout by our Indian team. But did we hear any news about it? a single fire cracker? a single sweet being distributed? Did Shah Rukh Khan care to watch the finals? the victory of which was dedicated to his latest movie, Chak De.
Why this double attitude? why can't all the sports be treated on the same level? Why didnt a single CM be brave enough to give even a single rupee to the Hockey team? yes, it was just the asia cup but why not? they played their hearts out too...every single one of them.
I have nothing against Cricket, its a great sport...but I hate the attitude of people who first burn effigy's and then the next second start worshipping them. I feel its foolish...but is it the people or just me being foolish thinking like this?? After all its Cricket!


--dravi




Written On: Wednesday September 26, 2007 - 05:27pm (IST)

No comments: